Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: [Patch, F03, RFC] FINAL support in 4.8

Dear All,

> On a different note, is there any chance of unlimited polymorphism making
> it into 4.8?

I am having a bit of a torrid time in both my private and professional
life.  It will all come to an end this weekend when I transport out
dogs up to the UK and complete the installation of my family there.  I
have mapped out how to do a proper job of PR46897, which will be
completed very quickly, and will then return to unlimited
polymorphism.

An intermediate job that I was minded to do was to change the
structure of polymorphic objects to add a string length field and to
invert the order of the _data and _vptr fields.  However, I am a bit
uncertain how long that will take because we have been rather cavalier
about accessing the _data field directly, rather than using the
CLASS_DATA api.  I could do the unlimited polymorphism first by adding
the string length and then worrying about cleaning up access to the
_data field afterwards.  That way, it would be ensured that unlimited
polymorphism made it to 4.8.

I do not see, at present, any indication as to when stage 1 will end.
Richard, Jakub, what is your anticipation/hope?

Cheers

Paul