Re: Please help with building gfortran 4.2.1 on OpenBSD

On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 11:05:08AM -0700, Steve Kargl wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 04:09:19PM +0000, John Long wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > OpenBSD has a system of scripts to build various software. Unfortunately
> > gfortran is not building on the current version of OpenBSD running on a
> > Fuloong (mips64el). I read there is a Fuloong in gcc's build farm so I
> > hope somebody has already figured this problem out and can tell me how to
> > fix it.
> >
> > I got the following error messages:
> >
> > /usr/ports/pobj/gfortran-4.2.1/gcc-4.2.1/gcc/
>
> This appears to be a build within the OpenBSD ports system
> framework.

Yes, that is what I said. I am asking for help, not pointing fingers.

> You'll probably need to ask whoever is responsible for the OpenBSD port
> for help.

The port has no maintainer assigned to it so I hoped whoever is responsible
for gfortran would be interested in fixing it and then we could probably get
it back in the ports system on OpenBSD. I don't know whether it is broken on
other archs since nobody responded to my question on OpenBSD's ports@
mailing list.

> gcc-4.2.1 was released 5 years ago, and gcc-4.2.x had reached
> its EOL some 3 years ago.  I believe that it may be prudent to
> download gcc-4.7.1 from the GCC home page and build gfortran
> from outside of the OpenBSD port system.  Instructions for
> building gcc can be found of the GCC website.

I don't know but I am guessing a newer gfortran won't like the binutils
(2.15) or gcc (4.21) we already have installed. And it won't help others
since people normally use the ports tree. If it gets fixed there everyone
can use it. If not, everybody interested has to build it out of line and
that seems like a waste of effort and not very community-oriented.

If anyone can help and fix this it would be very nice.

Thanks,

John Long

--
ASCII ribbon campaign ( ) Powered by Lemote Fuloong
 against HTML e-mail   X  Loongson MIPS and OpenBSD