Re: [m3user] Issues on installing CMAQ5.0 :unrecognized command line option "-finit-character=32"

Yaoxian Huang Sat, 23 Jun 2012 14:22:48 -0400
>>> I also met the exact same problem

Tobias Burnus Sun, 24 Jun 2012 17:02:11 +0200
> The flag -finit-character=32 is supported since GCC 4.3. The flag
> initializes local character variables with blank, while according to
> the standard those variables have an undefined value; given that
> this is a rather special flag, my suspicion is that it also works
> without that flag. However, it probably makes more sense to use a
> newer GCC version.

Tom Roche Sat, 23 Jun 2012 16:38:52 -0400
>> I suspect you have a downlevel gfortran[: see]

the new'n'improved
http://www.cmaq-model.org/cmaqwiki/index.php?title=CMAQ_version_5.0_%28February_2010_release%29_OGD#GCC

>> You can dis/prove my hypothesis by running

>> $ gfortran --version

>> If correct, how to fix? One way is to upgrade your RHEL (the
>> current version==6), but that may be outside your control. If so, I
>> suspect the fine folks on the gfortran list can suggest the best
>> version of GCC to install on RHEL 5.5.

> Red Hat Enterprise Server 5.x uses GCC 4.1.x as system compiler.
> However, Red Hat provides as technical preview a never GCC version.
> I think "yum install gcc44-gfortran" (as root) should install the
> technical preview along the default GCC. I assume - but I don't know
> - that that compiler is then available as "gfortran44",
> "gfortran-4.4" or something similar.

> (I think RH 5.5 has 4.4 as technical preview, but it could also have
> gcc43-gfortran, I don't recall which RHES 5.x had which version as
> technical preview. An overview about which distribution has which
> GCC version is at

> http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/GFortranDistros

rearranged

http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/GFortranBinaries#GNU.2BAC8-Linux

> or compile GCC yourself

http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/GFortranBinaries#FromSource

Thanks, I have added links to those from the CMAQ wikipage (above).