Re: Really slow direct unformatted output under MS Windows:(

Dear Delbert,

Delbert Franz wrote:
I did find some recent activity on the mailing list about release
4.7.0 and slow I/O.  Perhaps the issue is under active review.

For the GCC 4.6.0, a fix for another problem causes a massive slow down of I/O performance under certain circumstances; the slow down was due to _commit(), which not only flushes the buffers but also asks the operating system to write the data to the hard disc. This issue has been fixed just before the GCC 4.6.2 release (2011-10-26).

A similar patch which even reduces the number of _commit() calls further has been committed very recently for GCC 4.7 - I think either today or yesterday. (The GCC 4.7.0 will be released around March/April 2012; since Tuesday, GCC has entered the stabilization phase for the 4.7 release ["stage 3"].)

Thus, it is probably worthwhile to try your program with GCC 4.6.2 or a very recent GCC 4.7 snapshot.

Depending on your program, the cause could be also a different one such that the update might not help for this specific problem. If the problem still occurs with 4.6.2 or 4.7, we are very interested in details and/or a sample program.

Tobias