Fortran gtk interface modules, first git push available

Hi all,

I am pleased to announce the first push to the gtk-fortran repository at github has been made.

https://github.com/jerryd/gtk-fortran

Thanks to contributions from Vincent Magnin, Tobias Burnus, and myself.

This initial push provides some of the basic functions needed to build simple gtk applications using 100% Fortran.

We have been able to use this to embed graphical visualization of calculations directly into the calculating code. At the least, it is extremely useful for debugging calculations, to watch the results as they evolve.

I am sure others will begin to think of other uses. Once you begin to use it, you start seeing how easy it is!

Our plans:

1) Add more examples to the examples directory to help jump start users.

2) Add more gtk and cairo function interfaces based on use demand. If there is a function you need, just let us know.

3) Provide some vary basic tutorial pointers, in particular, how to compile, and how to organize the module files into an application so that they can be easily used and found by the compiler. At this time the README shows a basic compile command.

We may eventually make these modules intrinsic to gfortran, but our goal is to remain fully standard compliant so other compilers can be used. I am not a lawyer so the licensing in the files is my first guess. I am also open to suggestions on organizing the source tree.

Let me know if you have ideas for improvement. At this point I am the master of the repository, but we can add others to the push list. Let me know if you are interested.

Best regards,

Jerry