Re: Run-time seg fault on automatic allocation of array

Nice work - I look forward to testing the patch once it hits the trunk (and becomes available via macports).

Damian

----- Original Message -----
From: Tobias Burnus [mailto:burnus@net-b.de]
Sent: Monday, November 08, 2010 12:39 AM
To: Rouson, Damian
Cc: fortran@gcc.gnu.org <fortran@gcc.gnu.org>
Subject: Re: Run-time seg fault on automatic allocation of array

On 11/08/2010 05:48 AM, Rouson, Damian wrote:
> Given the code below, Gfortran 4.6.0 20100925 produces an executable that
> generates a seg fault.  Presumably this stems from the ongoing work on
> automatic (re)allocation of arrays.  Interestingly, IBM XL Fortran 13.1
> produces the correct output (" array =  0 0")

Well, in terms of the GCC trunk, 'ongoing' is exaggerated: Except of
those few cases covered in TR 15581 ('allocatable components'; supported
since GCC 4.2), gfortran does not support (re)allocate on assignment.

However, you are right about the on-going efforts. Using the patch at
http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/fortran/2010-11/msg00056.html, the result is:
  seg fault occurs after this line
  seg fault occurs before this line
  array =            0           0

There are still some issues with that patch, but I think a patch
supporting automatic (re)allocation during intrinsic assignment will be
committed in the next days; if we are lucky even this evening :-)

Tobias