Re: List of gfortran-ready libraries and packages

On Fri, 2010-10-01 at 22:36 +0200, FX wrote:
> > Indeed.  I think that a GDE will come high on the list as well.
>
> If GDE is Graphical Development Environment, then I agree. In fact, I am actually cross of not thinking about it earlier.
>
> I've now looked at three options: Photran/Eclipse, Code::Blocks + Fortran plug-in, and NetBeans. Though I have no particular experience with any of these (my nonGDE of choice is vim, and I don't even use Windows except when for gfortran development and promotion!), it seems that Code::Blocks is simpler and has fewer dependencies that the two others. I'd be tempted to go with that, my thinking being that power users always may want something more powerful, but the power users can fend for themselves :)
>
> Do others here have experience with any of these IDE, or others that I've not considered?

I have used Photran/Eclipse and I must say, I don't like it. It forces
you into its way of doing things, which doesn't work when you have a
large project consisting of Fortran, C and Python code all built by
autotools. But then maybe I have been using command line tools and
editors for far too long to get used to clickety-click interfaces. So, I
use emacs/vi to edit files, grep to find stuff, svn for version control
and meld to check before I commit something. I must say I life without
meld would be difficult.

However, I'd be very interested to hear what others have to say because
I have to look after other users which are currently using MS Visual
Studio which I'd like to tempt away to something less awkward.

BTW, I'd also like to join in and thank the gfortran developers for an
excellent compiler with brilliant diagnostics.

Cheers
magi