Re: List of gfortran-ready libraries and packages

On Oct 1, 2010, at 11:48 AM, Bud Davis wrote:

the projects out there that just provide source are great; but the audience is
limited...not everyone is willing to compile from scratch.

And not everyone can, even they are willing. No-one where I work has any sort of admin privileges on their linux boxes so if there are any system level dependencies, their only recourse is to contact their IT helpdesk - who are themselves limited by IT security policies made at much higher levels.

E.g. I haven't been able to install anything beyond gfortran 4.4 (I think oct2009 version?) because of this, despite my willingness to compile and install whatever dependencies are required.

It's a tough problem. I don't think it's feasible for the gfortran maintainers to keep versions of toolbox library builds for the plethora of linux installations out there. (But what the hell do I know!:o)

probably because a lot of fortran users are experts in other fields, and fortran
is just a tool.

Um, well, aren't *all* programming languages "just" tools? :o)

But, regarding the topic under discussion, if the effort doesn't distract from a f2003 update to gfortran it would be A Good Thing.

cheers,

paulv

p.s. I don't get a chance to say it enough to the gfortran developers, but thanks for all your work.