gfortran test coverage

Hi,

I just experimented with running gfortran through gcov (since I can now use the compile farm to do experimental builds faster and without busying my laptop). I probably more hacked the build system than did it "correctly", but at least it seemed to work basically. There were some test-suite failures probably because the build was not "completely sane", but only few.

Nevertheless, I think I managed to get gcov test coverage output for the gcc/fortran sources based on the gfortran.dg test-suite. A quick glance over some files shows that there are especially error messages and "early return because of special case" code branches that were never executed. Do you think it would be worthwhile to investigate the coverage data further and try to extend the test-suite so that coverage goes up and/or remove dead code that is really unreachable? (Or replace branches by asserts, for instance.)

I'm somewhat undecided about whether this is something to spend time with, but in general I think it would be useful to work on that; this hopefully makes gfortran more stable and eases maintainance. If you want, I volunteer to spend some time (I'll probably not have a lot, but possibly regularly small chunks) on that during stage 3 (which seems to fit for that, also). And of course I can send the gcov output to anyone interested to look at it, too.

Yours,
Daniel

--
http://www.pro-vegan.info/