Re: [RFC] Quad-float support, round 4

On 09/14/2010 02:41 PM, Tim Prince wrote:
On 9/14/2010 8:41 AM, Steve Kargl wrote:
gfc ifc
sqrtq 200 160 (ie, __float128 is XXX times slower than double)
sinq 100 6
cosq 150 10
asinhq 120 10
erfcq 150 6

on the same hardware. Note, gfc = gfortran, and ifc = ifort.

The question then becomes what are the algorithms that Intel uses
to compute the last four functions.
As far as I know, the algorithms in the Intel quad precision math
library are closely held, although you might learn something by objdump
or similar tools. I would be concerned that doing this myself would run
into conflicts with my employer, as my gcc paperwork will not be
reconfirmed by them.

Read this:

for some insight into the problems one can get into.

If older implementations of FPU have issues with useble range, then we will have to do range reduction for certain.

Jerry