zero-sized constants?

Hi all,
I'm working on an update to the space allocator in darwin (i.e. bss & friends) in a bid to re-enable section anchors on ppc and reduce objects sizes on all variants where there are large zero-allocations.

I notice that gfortran (and only gfortran) calls ASM_DECLARE_CONSTANT_NAME () with a decl showing a zero-sized object on a fair number of occasions.

Now, I must be missing something, but my simple-minded thinking says that the only constant value that can have zero size is zero itself...
... so can anyone elaborate?

Essentially, do I need to handle this specially? (I.E. it's expected behavior)
- or is it a bug in the fortran FE? (in which case I'll try and collect some more info.)

thanks,
Iain