Re: gfortran windows builds script

Dear Brad,

Sorry for not answering earlier (almost one month!). How I got it working is by having a MinGW and MSYS installation, including all build tools, and doing the following:

  1. the build script (build_gfortran) is to be run inside the MSYS shell. It assumes that you have the following setup:
       -- everything is in $HOME/gfortran
       -- the build directory will be in $HOME/gfortran/ibin
       -- the built compiler will install (temporarily) in $HOME/gfortran/irun
       -- the subversion source is in $HOME/gfortran/gcc-trunk (and you have command-line subversion installed, to run contrib/gcc_update)
       -- dependencies (GMP, MPFR, MPC) are in $HOME/gfortran/dependencies; I used to build them as static libraries; libraries go in $HOME/gfortran/dependencies/lib, header files go in $HOME/gfortran/dependencies/include
       -- you have the appropriate pthread-win32 DLL, static library and headers installed
       -- it configures for i586-pc-mingw32 (in order to include atomic builtins, which are needed for libgomp, i.e. OpenMP support)
       -- its makes html and info docs, and can do PDF doc if you have latex installed (I think you need texinfo for this, which was quite tricky to get the right version... but I don't remember specifics, sorry)

  2. It also assumes that, in $HOME/gfortran/mingw_to_include/, you have a set of files that are a standalone, trimmed-down MinGW base. It is was the installer will include along with the compiler in order for it to be usable. This was the hardest part to construct, by copying necessary files from my own MinGW installation. The good news is that I have kept the list of these files, attached as "mingw_to_include.list".

  3. I used to include an HTML README file along with the package (and the text of the GPL); I have attached this HTML file also (the script changes the version number and date inside it before packaging it).

  4. Finally, the installer is built with NSIS (nullsoft scriptable install system; http://nsis.sourceforge.net/). The "source" file for the installer, which contains all relevant information as to what is to be packaged, is attached as gfortran.nsi. You need to tweak it for each new major version of gfortran, as the directory hierarchy then changes (directories named "4.4.0" or "4.5.0"). Also, each time you build the package, the VERSION macro inside the .nsi file has to be changed. The toplevel script (build_gfortran) does that with sed. It then creates the package using the command-line NSIS compiler, assumed to be located at "C:/Program Files/NSIS/makensis.exe"

  5. The last section of the build script is to upload to my server, which will be of no use to you :)

I'm sorry again for being so late in answering, and hope this is detailled enough. I'll try to answer your questions if you have any. Also, if you do a regular build, please link it from the GFortran wiki (and please CC: me in your announcement email, so I know I can tell my own students to download it too!).

Regards,
FX