Re: Branch Merging

Jerry DeLisle wrote:
> What are our plans to merge the fortran-dev and fortran-exp branches
> back into trunk?

Fortran-dev has known regressions (see bugzilla); Paul is working on those.

> I am thinking the way to do this is:
>
> Merge trunk to exp, test, and commit to branch.
> Merge exp branch to trunk, test, and commit to trunk.

I think doing a merge into the branch is good; however, I think one
should merge from the branch to the trunk via patches - SVN does not
seem to be good in tracking branch-to-trunk merges. (At least it wasn't
maybe it has meanwhile improved.)
Additionally, one should include the ChangeLog.fortran-* items in the
normal ChangeLog. And the patch (gzipped if needed) could be posted
before or after committal to the mailing list.

I am currently running a diff between
svn://gcc.gnu.org/svn/gcc/trunk@157996 and
svn://gcc.gnu.org/svn/gcc/branches/fortran-exp to have another look at
the changes.

Tobias

PS: diffstat shows:

 ChangeLog.fortran-exp |  305 ++++++++