Re: LISTINGS, HELP, & other things

On Wed, 24 Feb 2010, Daniel Franke wrote:

Hello Daniel,

2010/2/24 Wolfram Fassbender <wofa@castor.zsi.fu-berlin.de>:
I found a bug due to wrong Hollerith handling but this isn't annoying so
much since I can easily work around. If you are interested in, I can send
you some information about... What I'm really annoyed of is the simple
message 'segmentation fault' on my debian system when running an error-free
compiled F66 program (btw. PFORT with my changes).

I won't comment on the "error-free" program, but I'd advise to run the binary in valgrind - that should give you a good idea what's happening. E.g.

Aehmm, what I meant with 'error-free' is simply a compile without errors. Of course, I'm aware that semantics are another point completely. And, what I meant is that the error msg 'segmentation fault' wasn't very helpful.

   $> gfortran -g -Wall -Wextra -fbounds-check yourfiles.f -o yourprog
   $> valgrind yourprog

These hints were very helpful, thank you for that. I can neatly look now into the failing code sections to isolate my dirty things. Thanks a lot...

If you are not given a runtime error, valgrind should help you
pinpointing the problem.

It did very helpfully. I'm surprised and impressed.

Thanks alot,
-wolfram