PARAMETER statement

I am new to gfortran (tho been programming in Fortran for 35 years on
DEC machines)

I am trying a port of VAX fortran program to Windows

Have installed and trying to use gfortran

Sources have a lot of PARAMETER statements that define array sizes in
later array declarations.  This is how I've always known to use
PARAMETER statements.

The following will not compile:

    parameter isize=15
    dimension i(isize)
    i(1)=0
    end

gfortran doesn't seem to allow declarations after PARAMETER statements.

Are there switches to accept this.  Is a preprocessor needed?  If this
is a limitation of gfortran, can you suggest another fortran for a VAX
to Windows port?

Thanks