Re: gfrotran

Hello Carlos,

Carlos Jimenez wrote:
> I'm Carlos and i try to study Fortran
> Now I'm playing with exceptions [...]
> use, intrinsic::ieee_exceptions
>                                1
> Fatal Error: Can't find an intrinsic module named 'ieee_exceptions' at
> (1)

gfortran unfortunately does not yet support the IEEE intrinsic modules.
An overview about the currently support Fortran 2003 features can be
found at http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/Fortran2003Status (And for the Fortran
2008 features at http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/Fortran2008Status).

> But if I compile with ifort or g95 that no happend

Any Fortran compiler vendor assignes different priorities to the various
Fortran 2003 (and Fortran 2008) features. Seemingly, for Andy (g95) and
Intel (ifort) the IEEE support was seen as more important than other
Fortran 2003 features. Thus their compilers support it (at least
partially), but on the other hand, those compilers do not have other
features which are, e.g., supported in gfortran. See
http://doi.acm.org/10.1145/1570522.1570525 for the Fortran 2003 and 2008
status of several compilers; a slightly older Fortran-2003-only version
can be found at
http://www.fortranplus.co.uk/resources/fortran_2003_compiler_support.pdf

I do not know when gfortran will have a full or partial support;
currently the development focus is mostly on object orientated features,
including polymorphic data types. (And on bug fixing as GCC 4.5 is in
Stage 3.)

Like always in Open Source software development: You can speed up the
implementation of IEEE by contributing - either by programming yourself
or by paying someone which implements it for you. So far, only few
gfortran users have ask for IEEE support - the interest in, e.g.,
procedure pointers and object orientated programming (OOP) features was
much higher.

Tobias