Re: [Patch, Fortran] PR 40881: warn for obsolescent features

Toon Moene wrote:

What it means to ordinary users is that the *language community* thinks that a certain construct has outlived its shelf live, so you'd better not use it.

perhaps, to me either something is or is not in the language, and it is up to users to decide whether to use it, so you can only urge, not legislate (the word urge always reminds me of the scene in LA Story, where Patrick Stewart in reply to Steve Martin saying "but what about my date? I can't tell her what to have", says "No, but you could *URGE*". :-))

This *is* a useful message to send (at least to our constituents).

I think it is fine to have a set of warnings, but they should be turnable off as a group.

We have the same situation in Ada with obsolescent features (annex J)
and there is a switch -gnatwj to activate warnings of any use of these
features (off by default, but most certainly something that some coding
standards could make mandatory).