From: Thomas Breuel [mailto:tmbdev@gmail.com]
Sent: 19 May 2009 23:07
To: fortran
Subject: array descriptors -- direction?

I'm thinking about trying to put together a better interface between
GFortran and NumPy.? This involves creating array descriptors
corresponding to NumPy arrays to hand them to Fortran code.

I'm a bit unclear about the direction that GFortran is taking.? There
are currently internal array descriptors that are shared between
GFortran, G95, and others that differ from TR 29113.? There have been
some check-ins to use macros for accessing array descriptors.? And
there have been some comments on the mailing list suggesting that
GFortran might start using TR 29113 as its native array descriptor.

TR 29113 seems designed so that it would be a fairly simple add-on to
an existing compiler, since it translates back and forth between
native and portable descriptors; is there any implementation of TR
29113 for GFortran already?

Should I start writing the interface code based on GFortran's current
array descriptors?? Should I implement a TR 29113 on top of GFortran's
current descriptors?? Or is a TR 29113 native implementation around
the corner?

Tom