Re: [PING, patch, libgfortran] Build with -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections

On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 02:55:11PM +0200, Ulrich Weigand wrote:
> Hello,
>
> it seems the discussion on using -ffunction-sections for libgfortran
> didn't really come to a conclusion:
> http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/fortran/2009-03/msg00166.html
>
> Is the above patch OK?  If not, I'd appreciate suggestions on how to
> make it acceptable ...

I've reviewed the thread pointed to by the URL.  I think the
patch would be okay provided the documentation of the options
is updated because I had the same reaction as Tobias when I
read:

   Only use these options when there are significant benefits from
   doing so.  When you specify these options, the assembler and
   linker will create larger object and executable files and will
   also be slower.  You will not be able to use `gprof' on all
   systems if you specify this option and you may have problems with
   debugging if you specify both this option and `-g'.

If the last sentence isn't true, then it needs to be amended.  If
the last sentence is true and your patch breaks the abiblity to
profile and debug code, then of course your patch is unacceptable.

--
Steve