Re: -Wno-tabs GIves Weird Line Number Information and No Source File Name (v 4.3.3)

On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 03:12:12PM -0500, Tom Browder wrote:
> I've just received my first tab warnings from -Wall (which includes
> -Wno-tabs) but none of the line numbers match the source (nor is the
> file identified explicitly as is done by other warnings).  I'm going
> going to look at the processed source files but haven't gotten there
> yet.
>
> I've searched the bugs but haven't found anything appropriate.
>
> Has this problem been identified or do I need to submit a bug report.

The problem of people using tabs in Fortran code has been
known for a long time.  These people should be severely
beaten with a copy of the Fortran standard.

Oh, you meant a problem with gfortran. :-)

The detection of a tab used as whitespace occurs before
the usual warning/error reporting machinery is available.
The warning for a tab's location is/was fragile.  If
your code is preprocessed or uses an INCLUDE, it may be
possible that gfortran gets confused.

--
Steve