Re: Proposed gfortran development branch

Richard Guenther wrote:

On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 1:44 AM, Jerry DeLisle <jvdelisle@verizon.net> wrote:
Hi folks,

In light of all the delays, I would like to propose that we create a
development / test branch for gfortran.

We could then start committing all the pending patches and if mainline
ever branches, just merge back.

This would allow us to make up for lost time, create test binaries for
the wiki and start getting some user feedback going on 4.5 features.

I apologize if this seems a bit rebellious, but I do think it is within
current gcc rules and would help un-log the jam.

All who agree, please reply "yea", those opposed, "nay".

Note that merging the branch will be painful (as in, please dissect the branch into the individual patches again to make bisecting the trunk SVN possible). Also the SC vetoed these kind of 'integration' branches in the past (to not encourage starting an effective stage1 on a branch).

I agree about the bisecting-in-case-of-bugs issue.

However, what I see happening in practice is that all GCC developers keep on doing their development work on branches - only the gfortran developers are left out, because they do not have a branch.

Of course we can create branches for all the subprojects that are pending on the creation of a 4.4 branch and freeing up trunk - it just doesn't seem very efficient to us.

Of course I pleaded with the FSF (on the Steering Committee mailing list *and* the gcc list) for speed in the case of the 4.4 branch - in vain.

We might be heading for a fork a la the EGCS fork - and I don't like it. It took a lot of effort (I was part of the EGCS cabal and I didn't even do a lot of that foot-work).

This has to be resolved in a short time. Reading groklaw.net for 6 years has convinced me that the smallest unit of time lawyers deal with is a month.

That's a *lot* of development time, software wise.

-- Toon Moene - e-mail: toon@moene.org (*NEW*) - phone: +31 346 214290 Saturnushof 14, 3738 XG Maartensdijk, The Netherlands At home: http://moene.org/~toon/ Progress of GNU Fortran: http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-4.4/changes.html