compiling libgfortran statically

Hi all,

I'm responsible for building a rather large C and Fortran based
application on a number of different UNIX systems. We then provide
precompiled binaries to hundreds of users.

Our users have all flavors of UNIX and versions of gcc/gfortran, so I
try to provide as many gcc/gfortran version combinations as I can.

Users still run into problems, however, because if they don't have the
exact version of gcc/gfortran, they may run into the usual "can't find libgfortran.so.x" error.

Is there a way to build libgfortran statically? I do see a mention of
a "-static-libgfortran", but this doesn't seem to work everywhere (I
believe my Intel Mac was one such location). If this option isn't
available, is there another recommended method that will work across
various versions of gcc and gfortran?

Thanks for your time,

--Mary