Enhancement suggestion: -fno-gnu-intrinsics

Hi,

May I suggest a possible enhancement to gfortran.

I am trying to compile some legacy code. It will not compile with
-std=f95 or -std=f2003. This is mainly due to old fashioned type
declarations (e.g. 'INTEGER*4 variable').

If I compile with -std=gnu, it will accept the type declarations, but
I get errors such as:

                     CALL UNLINK (IEVNT)
                                  1
Error: 'count' argument of 'unlink' intrinsic at (1) must be CHARACTER

The problem is that my code uses subroutines with names that conflict
with some of the GNU extensions to the intrinsics.

I know that I can solve the problem by adding explicit declaration of
my routine names (e.g. 'EXTERNAL UNLINK') in my code. However, since
the problem is caused by a non-standard GNU extension to the
intrinsics namespace, it would be nice if there was an option to turn
these off, without disabling support for legacy coding styles.

Unfortunately I don't have the time to delve into the gfortran source
code enough to attempt to develop a patch myself.

Regards,

Bill Brendling.