Re: [Patch, Fortran, 4.5] [RFC] -fruntime-check=<....>

Tobias Burnus wrote:
> Mikael Morin wrote:
>
>>> a) -fcheck-array-temporaries: Should there also be a
>>> -fruntime-check=array-temporaries ?
>>>

>> No, as I don't think we could generate a temporary without noticing it
>> at compile time.
>>

> I somehow don't understand what you mean here. Do you mean that
> -fcheck-array-temporaries is not useful? Or do you mean that
> -fruntime-check=array-temporaries as alias for -fcheck-array-temporaries
> is not useful?
>
> For the former: I don't agree - I find that option quite helpful and
> also ifort has such an option. Cf. http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-4.4/changes.html
>
> # The |-Warray-temporaries| option warns about array temporaries generated
> by the compiler, as an aid to optimization.
> # The |-fcheck-array-temporaries| option has been added, printing a
> notification at run time, when an array temporary had to be created for
> an function argument. Contrary to |-Warray-temporaries| the warning is
> only printed if the array is noncontiguous.

Ah ok. So the option is already there. Yes, an alias makes sense.
I only knew -Warray-temporaries. And I was confusing it with
-fcheck-array-temporaries.
Is the latter useful? Maybe.
I've never used it, but without knowing its existence it's not
surprising ;).