Re: timeline?

Thanks for the quick response.

> For the Fortran 2003 status, see: http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/Fortran2003Status

Ah, I hadn't seen that; that's very useful.

>From my point of view (teaching, research, open source projects), the
most important features are (in decreasing order of importance):

- get the debugger to work better
- full, working allocate support (e.g., on assignment)
- ASSOCIATE

After that, the more OOP support there is, the better, because it
means that we can solve more problems in a single-language
environment.

Co-arrays are low priority; OpenMP fits our needs well.

There are a couple of things that are quality-of-implementation issues:

- provide a "-fsafe" mode that implements a combination of runtime and
compile time checks that catch as many array bounds violations,
uninitialized variables, uninitialized pointers, overflows, null
pointers, etc. as reasonably possible
- use realloc or a built-in equivalent behind the scenes for
allocations whenever possible; a = [a,1] should be constant time,
independent of the size of a (it should also not crash :-)
- provide better support for interfaces to C, C++ and Python; for
example, provide C macros for accessing and manipulating GFortran
arrays, allocatable arrays, and pointers

Tom