Re: [mpich2-maint] #261: mpich2, 1.0.8 release: a crash with Fortran90?

Hi,

jdelia@intec.unl.edu.ar wrote:
> Thanks for your suggestion. As a summary of the mpich2 building of the
> current 1.0.8 release, we have:
> 1) with the gfortran version of the system: it's crash.
> GNU Fortran 95 (GCC) 4.1.0 20060515 (Red Hat 4.1.0-18)
>
> 2) with the current (beta) gortran release:  it's OK.
> GNU Fortran (GCC) 4.4.0 20081021 (experimental) [trunk revision 141258]
I'm not sure how to read that email (from a gfortran perspective). Is
this supposed to be a gfortran bug report?

>From the GCC perspective only the following compilers are supported:
- Current release series, 4.3.2
- Previous release series, 4.2.4
- active development, 4.4.0

4.1.x was the first usable version of gfortran but 4.2.x and later
contain several bug fixes; especially the 4.1-Zero-Version was not in
the best shape. (Remember: gfortran was as new compiler added only with
4.0.0; unfortunately, it takes some time to iron out bugs.)
Additionally, note that bugs in older versions than the
active-development version (currently 4.4) will only be fixed if either
(a) it is a regression or (b) a serious bug (e.g. esp. wrong bugs) - but
only if the fix is simple. The reason is that one easily can introduce
regressions, which should never ever happen in the release branches.

I would suggest that you update to a newer compiler than 4.1.0 as you
seemingly did.

Some remarks:
- gzipping a TAR archive, which contains only gzipped files does not
make much sense; either only "tar" or tar-zip but then don't zip the
contained files.
- When reporting a bug, one needs more information, e.g. where to get
the source code, how it fails and how to reproduce it, etc. (A small
test case would also be handy.)

Tobias