Re: Array Descriptor Update

Dear All,

One thing that is noticable about the Intel and the Pathscale
descriptors is that they carry no type or kind information, whereas
gfortran packs this into the DTYPE word. I started looking to see if
gfortran uses this descriptor information anywhere and so far have
drawn a blank; admittedly on a not very thorough search. In addition,
I have not seen any use of the size information either. Does anybody
know if it is used anywhere?
I went through the library and could not see anywhere that DTYPE was used for anything other than consistency.

We could do this job in two stages:
(i) Revamp the descriptor but keep gfc_dimension the same; and
(ii) Update gfc_dimension.

Most of the work is in (ii)... :-)

This has the disadvantage of two API changes but might be more within our capabilities.

Cheers

Paul