[patch][rfc] Some changes to the manual

Hi,

I noticed in the manual that gfortran is still considered of "early
development" quality.  It seems to me that this is a bit too
pessimistic.  The attached patch updates some of these remarks.  I
took the liberty to add some historic remarks.  It seemed like a good
idea to also admit in the manual that gfortran 4.0 and gfortran 4.1
are maybe not so great (and then to continue about how great 4.2, 4.3
and 4.4 are ;-)

Thoughts?

Gr.
Steven