peculiar behavior: 64 byte integer in g77 and gfortran

Dear Respected,

        I am now compling some fortran program with g77 and gfortran, the
platform is CentOs5 X86_64 SMP, AMD di-core hard architechture.
When I compling the following program, I can not get the right
answer.

        The two piece of codes are,
          fortran77 form
        ex1.for:
                  integer *8 a,b
                  a=2**60
                  b=%loc(a)
                  print *,a,b
                  end

          ex2.f90:
                     integer *8   a
                     a=2**60
                     print *,a
                     end

       When I compile ex1 with "g77 ex1.for", I get the result  of a is
zero and b is a nonzero integer which corresponding to address of
a. When I compile it with gfortran, the complier gfortran tell me
2**60    is    oarithhematic overrflow.

      The second code is in the same condition.

       Who can please tell me what I can do to solve this problem?

yours

bin wang