Re: [RFC, Patch, gfortran] make -static-libgfortran work on darwin.

* IainS wrote on Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 09:42:29PM CEST:
> On 10 Jun 2008, at 20:06, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
>
>> Can the driver use path/to/libgfortran.a instead of '-Lpath/to
>> -lgfortran' to avoid being hindered by missing -Bstatic/-Bdynamic?
>
> this doesn't appear to work. [I've unset DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH in the
> following]
>
>  ./dst-powerpc/usr/bin/gfortran-4.4.0 helloi.F90 /Volumes/UFSScratch/
> GCC/gcc-44-build/dst-powerpc/usr/lib/gcc/powerpc-apple-darwin8/4.4.0/
> libgfortran.a -o helloif

Well, what I meant was that on Dargin, gfortran could pass the argument
  path/to/libgfortran.a

to collect2, instead of passing
  -Bstatic -lgfortran -Bdynamic

or the like, not that you should pass it on the command line.

> we could campaign for a different linker on OSX/Darwin I guess...

What's the problem with just using the shared library?
(Yeah, I knew that question was naive ... but hey, it works ;-)

>> Independently, does anybody know whether odcctools is dead (homepage
>> seems to be down ATM)?
>> <http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gnu.libtool.general/7158/
>> focus=7173>
>
> macports does install this; although it doesn't understand m64 mach-o
> (at least objdump doesn't)

Bummer.

> The difficulty becomes that one cannot supply something that is
> compatible with the vendor's standard installation.

Did you mean "incompatible" here?

> We start to require that the end user has administration rights to
> install into /usr simply in order to run a program?

I'm not sure whether I understand this comment.  Isn't the link-time
location of a shared library added to the search path anyway?
(My experience with darwin is quite limited, so my memory may serve
me wrong here.)

Cheers,
Ralf