Re: gfortran compiling help

"Paul, Brent S" wrote:

>         Unfortunately it outputs nothing again.  Here is the result (at bottom).  Besides cygwin and gfortran, are there any other things that I need to have installed?
>
> $
>
> $ /usr/local/gfortran/libexec/gcc/i686-pc-cygwin/4.4.0/f951.exe test.f -ffixed-form -version -o test.s

If "echo $?" after the failed app shows 53 then you are in fact missing
shared libraries.

The development version of Cygwin gives a better error.  And for the
record it's not Cygwin that "handles it in a weird way".  Loading of
shared libraries is done entirely by the operating system.  The only
options that Windows gives is to present a GUI popup message
("Application failed to initialize: cannot find DLL foo").  This is very
un-linux like because it requires someone at the console to click on OK
before anything else can continue.  Cygwin disables this Windows
"feature" so that the app just fails to run.  However, detecting that
this has happened becomes harder since the app just fails to run.  As I
said, the development version of Cygwin (1.7) does try to detect when
this has happened and prints a more appropriate (textual) message.

Brian