Re: [libgfortran,patch] Wide char part 4, library support

I was wondering whether one should warn for/reject default kind (= 1) literals with non-ascii characters with -pedantic.

I don't think we should, because quite a few people use 8-bit characters in default character kinds. It's not hard to do if we want to, though.

Do you plan to enable character kind = 4 support even without I/O support? I think one could do so, but until UTF-8 is supported our implementation would not be Fortran 2003 conform. (When a wide-char kind is available, UTF-8 I/O needs to be supported; if not, it does not need to.)

Hum, I planned to go ahead and see how to do UTF-8 encoding (it shouldn't be too hard). If I fail to make it for 4.4, we can always remove that support at the last minute, for example by only a small modification to SELECTED_CHAR_KIND so that it doesn't indicate that UCS-4 is available. What do you think of that plan?

FX

--
François-Xavier Coudert
http://www.homepages.ucl.ac.uk/~uccafco/