Re: Coarray article for the upcoming GCC Summit.

Bill Long wrote:
8) In section 7 on implementation, I would probably lean towards the general implementation in terms of GASNet rather than MPI. GASNet is generally a shorter path to the hardware, and hence more efficient. Perhaps more important, the GNU version of UPC is done with GASNet (at least that's my impression), and reusing work already done within the GNU umbrella seems like a good idea. In fact, pointing out that much of the work done for UPC can be reused for Fortran is probably a good selling point.

I was also wondering the other day whether UPC could help (see GCC's bugzilla PR18918). However, I have the impression that since 2006 nothing has happend and UPC is not part of the GCC itself. I actually do not know whether they have signed a copyright assignment with the FSF. If not, we cannot take anything from UPC.

At least the GCC UPC I found was based on GCC 4.0.x which is already slightly outdated:
http://www.intrepid.com/upc.html

Regarding GASNet (http://gasnet.cs.berkeley.edu/), this would be indeed an alternative (as I wrote in PR18918). The advantage of MPI is that is ubiquitous. However, GASNet seems to be faster and seems to support also MPI as network backend (as TCP/IP, infiniband, myrinet, ....). [By the way, GASNet is under a BSD-like licence.]

Has anyone experience with GCC UPC or knows their licence status (agreement with FSF yes/no) or whether they indent to get it merged with standard GCC?

I think that having coarrays available in gfortran would be a tremendous plus for the Fortran user community.
So do I, although I would expect that it takes quite a while until coarrays are wider used. (At least the Fortran programmers I know strive for large compiler compatibility (Fortran 95 without allocatable TR, maybe even without some new F95 features). Though with conditional compiling some Fortran 2003 features are creeping in.)

Tobias