Re: [Bug fortran/35916] problem running gfortran 4.4.0 in Vista

Regarding g77 and gfortran compatibility. We would really like to see examples of code that is causing the issues.
I will look up the link to the library I was referring to

This sounds like DEC's STRUCTUREs. This is something which gfortran will almost certainly never support. (The reason is that it is very difficult to support such that it works with user-defined operators which also use dots. Additionally, Fortran 90 introduced TYPE which does the same - and even more. Intel's ifort supports STRUCTURE and Intel struggled for quite a while to get it properly working with user-defined operators.)

However, to my knowledge g77 did not support STRUCTURE, UNION, RECORD, MAP neither. (Which both a quick test and the g77 manual confirmed.)

you are right, of course, it was not g77 but the DEC compiler

For gfortran, the answer is to replace STRUCTURE by Fortran 90's TYPE as written at
http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gfortran/STRUCTURE-and-RECORD.html

yes, I know; but with libraries provided by other parties, this is not always straightforward

Since you wrote that it works with g77, I'm curious about what exactly you have; as STRUCTURE is not supported by g77 it must be something else, but what?
STRUCTURE,, but, as I said, this was with DEC, you're right, not g77

PS: No idea about your Windows Vista problem -- I also use Linux; hopefully someone else will find out how to get gfortran running on your machine.

I have been given a solution which seems to work, I will use that for now.
However, I'm looking forward to an official Vista build of 4.4.x!

--
D. Heynderickx

DH Consultancy
Diestsestraat 133/3