Re: Q: Passing character string lengths with 64-bit addressing

FX wrote:
The character length variables you mention are always (for gfortran)
32-bit integer signed variables, so if you need to address them in
gfortran, you can use either integer(kind=4) or, in C99, int32_t
(found in header inttypes.h).

Thanks! (Actually, I am using C++. So using the C99 inttypes.h stuff may not be available on all platforms.)

This should be mentioned in the gfortran documentation somewhere.

To my knowledge, there is no plan today to change the current
situation. Personally,  I don't think having 64-bit string lengths is
very useful.

At this time, I simply need to know how it works for some code porting. Someone else can ask for the feature. (And take the arrows... :)

W.