Re: [RFC] Changing the implementation language of the fortran front-end

On Sun, 2 Dec 2007 10:17:03 +0100
"Richard Guenther" <richard.guenther@gmail.com> wrote:

> > #1.  Have to build g++ and the g++ libraries prior to compiling
> > gfortran.
> > #2.  The executable (might) be larger.
>
> Downside number #1 is actually no problem in practice unless you do not
> want to suffer the extra build time.

Speaking as an end user, I do build gcc on some older platforms where building g++ is generally prohibitive for me in terms of time (even with --disable-multilib I've had build times of several days). I have sometimes also had difficulty in successfully building g++ on platforms such as rs6000-ibm-aix4.*. Very rarely have I had insurmountable problems with --enable-languages=c,fortran though!

Would there be an intention be to drop fortran support for older systems?

Steve E