Re: [RFC] Changing the implementation language of the fortran front-end

On Dec 2, 2007 3:36 AM,  <jimmie.davis@l-3com.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Do we have any feelings on the feasibility of changing the fortran
> front-end from C to say C++ (or fortran, or ada for those most
> rebellious) ?
>
> The ability to use STL containers, IMHO, would make the code easier to
> read, simpler, and (also IMHO) better all around.
>
> Downsides:
>
> #1.  Have to build g++ and the g++ libraries prior to compiling
> gfortran.
> #2.  The executable (might) be larger.
>
> Upsides:
> #1.  STL.
>

> I don't think it would be hugely hard to make this change.........
>
> Comments ?

The parts interfacing to the middle-end (trans-*.c) probably requires
to "harden"
some middle-end interfaces against abuses of C++ keywords and some other things.
But this would be actually a good thing, since quite some of the middle-end
developers would like to go towards using C++ in the middle-end itself.

Downside number #1 is actually no problem in practice unless you do not
want to suffer the extra build time.

Richard.