Re: [Fedora-packaging] fortran .mod files

On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 15:56:56 +0100 "François-Xavier Coudert" wrote:

> We had some discussion a while back about where to put module files
> (thread starting at
> http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/fortran/2005-11/msg00516.html), but a conclusion
> was easier to reach because we were only dealing with gfortran
> intrinsic (or "internal") module files, so we ended up hidding them
> inside the gcc directories
> (/usr/lib*/gcc/${target}/${version}/finclude). For the naming, there
> was a general agreement about "finclude" (with F for Fortran). A
> minority was leaning towards "mod" or "modules", which is more correct
> from the Fortran point of view (these files are module files, and are
> not "included" in the Fortran terminology), but then there is a risk
> of confusion with other meanings for modules (kernel modules, or
> whatever).
>
> Now, my personnal opinion is that since these files are
> compiler-generated and target-dependent, they are very similar to
> libraries. For that reason, I think they probably should be placed in
> /usr/lib*/finclude, or in /usr/finclude*, where * can be 32, 64 or
> nothing.

Many thanks to everyone who responded.

The thread FX referenced (above) is a good read.  It would be easier if
the FHS provided more guidance but I suppose (?) they are mostly trying
to document existing conventions, not create them anew.

Thanks again!
Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD  |  ed@eh3.com  |  http://eh3.com/