Re: RFC POSIX Fortran Interface

Jerry DeLisle wrote:
> Ideally, to me anyway, a user ought to be able to just have "use pxf_interface
> in their own code and have the compiler just do it without need for a compiler
> option (an intrinsic module)...

I would argue against this for two reasons:

1.) POSIX-1003.9 was written against Fortran-77, where modules did not exist.
Therefore we should not require that a module be USEd in order to use the routines.

2.) POSIX-1003.9 failed to provide a suggested name for a Fortran-90 module.
So while a module is extremely useful to help the programmer get the calls right
(and perhaps use keyword=value argument style), there is no consensus on what
the correct name for the module should be.  For example, in the Intel compiler,
Intel supplies a module called IFPOSIX.  On IRIX, Cray, and the Open64 compilers,
the module is called PXF_DEFINITIONS...  (I should note that in the latter case,
the library was written by a member of the 1003.9 committee.)

Walter