Re: [RFC] Document intrinsic modules?

Walter Spector wrote:
Tobias Burnus <burnus@net-b.de> wrote:
I was wondering if one should document the intrinsic modules, gfortran
ships with. Currently, we have: ISO_C_BINDING, ISO_FORTRAN_ENV, OMP_LIB
and OMP_LIB_KINDS.

At least mention they are available. The first two in a list of F2003 items supported, the latter are required by OpenMP.

Expected are ISO_IEEE_* and ISO_VARYING_STRING;

Same here. As F2003 features are available, folks should be made aware of them.

maybe also some modules
in the spirit of the POSIX FORTRAN 77 language interfaces or of NAG's
unix* modules.

If gfortran eventually does support the POSIX interfaces, and I hope that it will, note that there was no standardized name for a F90 module. The POSIX 1003.9 committee only addressed Fortran-77 compatibility - a controversial aspect of their work. But given that there were no working F90 compilers at the time the POSIX Standard was being worked on, it is somewhat understandable - if not especially forward-thinking.

Nonetheless, IRIX (and Cray) have had a F90 module called "PXF_DEFINITIONS"
available for many years.  And now that the Intel compiler supports PXF,
they implemented a F90 module called "IFPOSIX".  These modules only contain
INTERFACE blocks.  But are extremely helpful when developing code.

If we get a consensus from the team, I will be happy to implement the POSIX interfaces, or at least the ones needed most. Consensus would be at least two other maintainers giving me a thumbs up.

Jerry