Re: g77

Granville Sewell wrote:
I'm trying to decide if my software for Linux and Solaris should be
compiled using g77 or gfortran (it's basically a library, so need to be
compatible with whichever compiler users have on their system).  It seems
that every Linux or Solaris system I've looked at has g77 and none
have gfortran, but the latest release of gcc, gcc-4.2.1 seems to contain
only gfortran.  Is g77 no longer distributed (I know it's not supported)
by GNU as part of gcc; and perhaps I'm just looking at systems that
downloaded g77 some time ago?

Thanks,

Granville Sewell

G77 is no longer supported. gfortran will compile and run g77 code (with very rare exception). Most distributions provide g77 as a compat package of some sort. How long they will continue this, I don't know. I think users need to start migrating to gfortran.

Jerry