Re: multidimensional arrays compiled by gfortran are not passed as such to gdb

On 2007-August-09 , at 20:27 , Steve Kargl wrote:
On Thu, Aug 09, 2007 at 08:16:52PM +0200, jiho wrote:
Hello everyone,

With the help of the guys on the #gdb irc channel we found what is
apparently a bug in gfortran: multidimensional arrays are not
recognized as such after compilation. Therefore, in gdb, they are
only viewed as uni-dimensional arrays and debugging becomes very
difficult.

Is this helpful? Does someone see what the problem can be? Should I report a bug properly, via bugzilla? Cheers,

We know.

gfortran's frontend flattens all arrays.  See the big comment
at the top of trans-array.c.

There is already a bug report about improving debugging info
for gfortran.  Unfortunately, none of the current gfortran
developers know anything about DWARF2 and gdb internals.

OK. glad to know the problem is already identified... too bad it won't be solved soon. I did not look in the source code of gfortran about this issue so I could not see the comment you mention, sorry. I saw something related on the wiki, after posting my email, but maybe it should be made more prominent. If you get lucky some gdb-expert will notice it and help on this mater.

Anyway, thank you for providing this great piece of software. When I don't have to debug it works great.

Cheers,

JiHO
---
http://jo.irisson.free.fr/