Re: gfortran on macs

I believe that using the GFortran 4.3 binary package should work fine with a system GCC of version 4.0 -- the GFortran package should be set up so as not to interfere with the system library at all. But that's an educated guess

And it's a good guess. There should be no conflict at all.

Thanks for the reply, Brooks. I tried the gfortran 4.3 binary package on the official wiki / website. Unfortunately, it failed to complete the install. I noticed that it installed many (possibly all) of its files in /usr/local/gfortran as expected, but failed to create /usr/bin/gfortran. There may have been other problems with the install, but I didn't see a log or error message.

I think it failed to create the symlink in /usr/local/bin/gfortran to /usr/local/gfortran/bin/gfortran. I changed the installer script accordingly, this shouldn't happen any more in the future.

I think (but I'm not sure) that you'll need to install GMP and MPFR in order to use the binary package, as well. I don't know the download links offhand, but Google will find them easily.

No, there's no need to do that when using the installer. (The GMP and MPFR libraries are already linked in statically, as I believe we should do for all the binaries we provide, if it's not already the case.)

I tested the gfotran 4.2.1 install using our group's molecular dynamics code (which is mostly F77, but is a numerically strong test) and everything works. :)

Yeah, so I know this is a bit of a tangent from the normal development talk here, but I hope some people find it helpful. Thank you, and good luck with the work on 4.3!

Feedback is always welcome!

FX