Re: gfortran on macs

I believe that using the GFortran 4.3 binary package should work fine with a system GCC of version 4.0 -- the GFortran package should be set up so as not to interfere with the system library at all. But that's an educated guess; I

Thanks for the reply, Brooks. I tried the gfortran 4.3 binary package on the official wiki / website. Unfortunately, it failed to complete the install. I noticed that it installed many (possibly all) of its files in /usr/local/gfortran as expected, but failed to create /usr/bin/gfortran. There may have been other problems with the install, but I didn't see a log or error message. This is on OS X 10.4.10 with the XCode from the 10.4.9 DVDs installed. All new stuff. The package was run with su permissions. So I deleted what the gfortran pkg installed and went to plan B...

I found it almost trivially simple to compile things from source, much like it would be on a Linux machine (and the commands are identical, too.) The

I ended up fixing a problem with my fink install so that I could see the gcc42 package in fink -stable and -unstable. Thank you Jack Howarth for maintaining this package! I used 'sudo fink install gcc42' and its install script detected the gmp and mpfr dependencies, and everything was compiled from source and installed fine. I now have gcc 4.2.1 installed. Building these for Intel OS X is supposedly non-trivial; gmp specifies that they do not support Intel OS X in their 4.x releases, and building of gcc required some multilib changes. There are other Intel OS X patches laying around to fix build bugs too. But, I think J.H. took care of all these things in his fink build script.

I tested the gfotran 4.2.1 install using our group's molecular dynamics code (which is mostly F77, but is a numerically strong test) and everything works. :)

Yeah, so I know this is a bit of a tangent from the normal development talk here, but I hope some people find it helpful. Thank you, and good luck with the work on 4.3!

Sincerely,

Brian Barnes