Re: how to inline assembler into gcc-FORTRAN program?

Tobias Burnus wrote:
Hi,

David Livshin wrote:
Is there a way to inline "asm" code inside gcc-FORTRAN program?
To my knowledge not; I think there are only few Fortran compilers which
handle assembler in a Fortran program and, contrary to other vendor
extensions, there does not seem to be any standard way.

One way to do it is to implement the routine in C and embed the asm
directives there. Otherwise one could investigate how other compilers
are doing it and implement some similar in gfortran.

Other than that it would be interesting to see the code where
GCC/gfortran generates significant less efficient code then hand written
assembler. Maybe there is something to optimize in the compiler itself.

Tobias
What I really need is to be able to specify portions of ( fortran ) code in such a way that it would be possible to determine their assembly code in the compiler-generated assembly output. For C it could be done by preceding and following the desirable code segments with calls to "asm" with the parameter being a specially constructed comment - the compiler generated assembly file is searched for these comments.

Any ideas how can it be done in gfortran?

Thank you in advance,

David

--
David Livshin