Re: Problem compiling NONMEM with mingw gfortran 4.3.0 builds

Steve Chapel wrote:
FX Coudert wrote:
We could use official or semi-official builds of stable releases for production, especially if those releases were well-known and used by many users. I actually tried DJGPP builds of gfortran first, but ran into the 127 character command line limit. One of my problems with MinGW builds is that there are so few pre-built binaries for Windows, and they don't seem to be very well known. I think the MinGW could benefit users by providing pre-built binaries as DJGPP does, and those users could in turn help MinGW by providing more extensive testing of the releases.

I don't quite understand what you mean here. MinGW (the project) has many binaries available for download, and they actually are quite conservative with respect to the software they package, I think. So, they do have well-known, stable binaries in my opinion. In fact, they're actually to stable for you to use, right now!

It's taken a while, but I think I've figured out what's going on. MinGW isn't releasing builds of GCC 4.x yet because of the number of regressions, as discussed at <http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gnu.mingw.user/21938>. That's why there are no stable builds of gfortran yet.

MinGW offers downloads of older versions of GCC, including g77, at their downloads site: <http://www.mingw.org/download.shtml>. To tell you the truth, that download site was very hard to find, and when I was first there I found only the GCC 3.4.5 candidate builds. After some more searching, I found that the MinGW installer makes it easy to install GCC compilers. I just tried using MinGW-5.1.3 to download g77, and it seems to work. I'll try to let people know about this way of getting g77 so they don't need to keep using g77 version 2.95.

It would have been great if someone could have just told me all this at first. Oh well, at least I know now. Is there anything else I should know?

Thanks,
Steve

The focus of folks on this list is to maintain/develop gfortran. Thats why my attention is going to figuring out how to make your example work correctly. g77 is no longer maintained, but definitely stable. gfortran is a Fortran 95 compiler. Stay tuned!

Jerry