Re: Problem compiling NONMEM with mingw gfortran 4.3.0 builds

Tobias Burnus wrote:
Hi,

Steve Chapel wrote:
I'd actually rather use a stable build of gfortran than current
development builds. Is there any chance of someone providing mingw
binaries of gfortran 4.0.3
Definitely not for 4.0.x; gfortran was first included in 4.0 and all
4.0.x versions were still rough and buggy. Additionally, GCC does not
maintain 4.0.x anymore.
or gfortran 4.1.2?
That would work, but I would recommend to use 4.2.x, which has many
Fortran improvements, is a stable version and already used as system
compiler of some Linux distributions.

As I don't have a working Windows, someone else has to build gfortran
4.2.x/Mingw ... FX?

Nonetheless, the developer version gfortran 4.3.x usually works and has
only rarely worse bugs than 4.2.x. (There are some/sometimes
regressions, though.)
In many cases, I could use a developer version of software. In my particular case, however, we need to comply with some government regulations regarding software use. We can be audited, and if during the audit it came out that we were relying on a developer version of a compiler, that wouldn't look too good, as there is very little verification that it is producing the correct results. I'm not sure if we can even use a compiler that we built ourselves from official source code, especially if no one else uses it. Right now, I'm simply evaluating whether gfortran will work and what performance increase (if any) we would get if we decide to buy the Intel Fortran compiler. A developer version will work for evaluation purposes, but not for production runs.

We could use official or semi-official builds of stable releases for production, especially if those releases were well-known and used by many users. I actually tried DJGPP builds of gfortran first, but ran into the 127 character command line limit. One of my problems with MinGW builds is that there are so few pre-built binaries for Windows, and they don't seem to be very well known. I think the MinGW could benefit users by providing pre-built binaries as DJGPP does, and those users could in turn help MinGW by providing more extensive testing of the releases.

-- Steve