Re: [patch,committed] Make Fortran maintainers "Non-Autopoiesis Maintainers"

On Thu, Jun 14, 2007 at 10:28:58PM -0700, Brooks Moses wrote:
> At 09:40 PM 6/14/2007, Steve Kargl wrote:
> >On Thu, Jun 14, 2007 at 08:48:22PM -0700, Brooks Moses wrote:
> >> I have no objection to this as a custom for GFortran, certainly -- I
> >> think it's a very good idea, and as a custom I very much support it.
> >> However, there have historically been reasonable exceptions to it.  In
> >> particular, I've committed several documentation patches without review,
> >> and I have seen a few small patches submitted by maintainers for
> >> comments rather than a formal review and then committed when there were
> >> no dissenting comments.  My understanding at the time was that these
> >> were entirely acceptable things to do; is this still true, or no?
> >
> >As the Fortran maintainer the pre-approved your doc patches (and
> >Daniel's patches) I feel I should comment.  The gfortran docs
> >were in such a mess that neither you nor Danial could possibly
> >commit a change that would make the docs worse.  Well, I guess
> >you could have, but your previous involvement in the mailing list
> >suggested otherwise.
>
> Indeed -- but my impression was that, when I became a maintainer, that
> explicit pre-approval was no longer needed.  Perhaps I misunderstood?

You did not misunderstand.  You are on your own with respect to doc
patches.

For the people that I've encourage to become more active in gfortran
development, the process is simple.

1) person sends good bug reports (dominique is in this phase)
2) person sends small, trivial, patches (no assignment is needed)
3) person sends big patches, so encourage copyright assignment.
   Commit the patches for person (Christopher Rickett is here).
4) More patches come, seek write-after-approval (Chris  will
   be here after ISO C binding is committed).
5) more patches come and comments on the patches of others.
   A maintainer approves patches (Asher and DanielD are here)
6) more patches comes. bestow maintainership.

--
Steve