Re: & and line continuation

Hi,

andrealphus wrote:
> I get errors whenever I try and compile any code that has the "&" used
> for line continuation.
> example
>
>     WRITE (*,*) 'Why does gfortran not'
>      &'like me?'
Well, putting the & in the continuing line (in column 6) is fixed format
style, in free format one puts it at the end of the line which is to be
continued:
    WRITE (*,*) 'Why does gfortran not' &
     'like me?'

However, this does not work, but for a different reason; it is the same as:

   write(*,*)  'Why does gfortran not' 'like me'

you need to add a comma between not' and 'like, e.g.

    WRITE (*,*) 'Why does gfortran not', &
     'like me?'

One could also use:
    WRITE (*,*) 'Why does gfortran not &
     & like me?'

Note that there are now only two ' and that there is an ampersand both
at the end of the first line and as (first non blank character) in the
second line.

> (I get the same error for continuing expressions..)
>
>     number = 1 * 5 +    &
>            10

This works here:

program test
implicit none
integer :: number
number = 1 * 5 +    &
           10
write(*,*) number
end program test

Could you give a complete example which fails including the exact error
message and the gfortran version (gfortran -v).

Tobias