[Fwd: GCC 4.3.0 Status Report (2007-05-28)]

This was also recently posted on the main GCC list; I'm forwarding it for those of us who only read the Fortran list.

My impression is that the stuff on the fortran-experiments branch, being limited to the Fortran front end, is probably appropriate for Stage 2 and thus doesn't need to be merged before the end of Stage 1. Nonetheless, it would be good to get them in as soon as we can....

- Brooks

-------- Original Message -------- Subject: GCC 4.3.0 Status Report (2007-05-28) Date: Mon, 28 May 2007 15:57:36 -0700 From: Mark Mitchell <mark@codesourcery.com> To: GCC <gcc@gcc.gnu.org> Newsgroups: gmane.comp.gcc.devel

Now that GCC 4.2.0 is finally out the door, I'm looking at 4.3.0.  Stage
1 has been going on a *long* time, and there have been a lot of changes
made.  (The Wiki page has an impressive list.)  We also seem to have the
dataflow stuff ready for merge to mainline, and it looks like
POINTER_PLUS may also be close.  Unfortunately, we've also introduced a
lot of regressions: there look to be about 40 new 4.3-only regressions.

The combination of those factors (long Stage 1, lots of new
infrastructure already in, lots of new regressions) suggests to me that
it's time to bring Stage 1 to a close.

Therefore, my current thinking is to close Stage 1 on July 1st, giving
everyone one more month to push in any major changes.  (Even though it's
been a long Stage 1, I don't want to make things overly abrupt.)
However, I'm certainly open to suggestions.  If you feel that's going to
exclude some very important functionality, let me know.  If you feel
that's too long, let me know that too.

Thanks,

--
Mark Mitchell